[SWLUG] floppy not mounted when inserted

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Mon Dec 17 11:29:11 UTC 2007

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007, Stephen Constantinou wrote:

> I am using Mandriva 2008 on a laptop.  Floppies that I am able to read
> and write to in Windows are not automatically mounted when I place them
> in the floppy drive of my Mandriva 2008 machine.  (Annoyingly I do not
> have this problem on my Mandriva 2007 machine).

You can't automatically mount floppy disks when inserted on standard PC
drives since the drive won't notify the system of the event.  The closest
you can get is auto-mounting the drive when you access its mount point.
autofs will let you do this (on Fedora you can configure it through
/etc/auto.master and /etc/auto.misc and then chkconfig the service on, but
I have no experience of Mandriva).

  - Steve