[SWLUG] Broadband

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Fri Jan 19 14:35:22 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 14:25 +0000, Kris Zani wrote:

> so NTL rocks for that stuff, you do need to ring them to initialise it
> though as they
> use custom windows software for registration.
if you dig around its just a web page on their site, or at least it
always used to be.  the windows software was just a browser wrapped in
some branding.

> our other place has a 8MG BT ADSL connection and that comes into a
> wireless
> & ethernet router with built in modem.  thats a DLink one I think.
> and again
> works like a dream.

if the supplier you choose doesnt offer an adsl router then just chuck
whatever usb rubbish they give you in the bin (they often can be made to
work, if you can stand the pain of finding the drivers and bodging it
all) just go buy an 'adsl router' or 'adsl wireless router' from your
local maplins/pc world/computer shop, last time i looked they started
from about £40

do check the box carefully, make sure it has the builtin ADSL modem,
there are devices generally called 'broadband routers' which tend to be
ethernet in (ie cable modem) and out, where as an adsl router will be
phone line in and ethernet/wifi out.