[SWLUG] Broadband

Julian Hall lists at kaotic.co.uk
Fri Jan 19 15:31:48 UTC 2007

Kris Zani wrote:
> NTL ethernet compatible cable modem
Same here.  I used to have a Motorola cablemodem but some......
*thinksthinksthinks.. polite word* ................ PERSON......
hijacked the MAC address and I got accused of spamming.  As I used to
work for them in TS and the tech I spoke to found *SIX* IPs linked to my
MAC he knew I was innocent, blocked it from their network and got a new
(ntl:) one sent to me.  A pity as  I really like my Motorola but now
it's a doorstop :(  (anyone know if I can/how to change the MAC address?)
> connected to a linux box which acts runs: DNS, NAT, Sendmail etc
> and that serves my windows boxes as a gateway and Samba server
Mine is connected to a Netgear FWG114P Prosafe 802.11g Wireless
Firewall/Print server.  Has 4 wired ports, the print server is USB but
works fine in Linux through CUPS.  One box for everything - nice and neat :)
> so NTL rocks for that stuff, you do need to ring them to initialise it
> though as they
> use custom windows software for registration.
Or you could just get hold of the registration URL.  A friend of mine
does them for people on Windows 98 (predictably their software won't
work on '98 either).
> basically as long as you get an ethernet connection you're laughing
Yep that's right.  Whatever OS only needs to detect the network card..
the rest is up to the router/modem.

Kind regards,

Julian