[SWLUG] Broadband

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Jan 19 18:26:28 UTC 2007

On 19 Jan 2007 at 14:11, Davage, Marcus wrote:

> Hi there peeps innit?
>
> I would like your opinions on what phone call/broadband provider you have
> and how good they are (and how linux-compatible they are), and what
> modem/router/firewall you have, and how linux-compatible that is.

Well here's my experience:

Started with dialup Freeserve. Got their 512K broadband and an ADSL modem for
27.99/month with no download limit.  OK on Windows but no go when I wanted to try Debian
Linux.  So I got a Netgear DG834G wireless ADSL router. Has 4 Ethernet ports as well, so
dead easy with Linux.  Does DHCP, DNS, NAT, Firewall, etc.

Freeserve morphed to Wanadoo and now Orange.  Orange had brought out an 8Meg
unlimited package for 19.99/month, so naturally, I have swopped.  This comes with a 'free'
Livebox ADSL wireless router.  Unfortunately, it only has 2  ethernet ports, but otherwise
can do all the Netgear can do.  So I have retained the Netgear as a hub for wireless and
wired connections and have the Livebox connected to the phone line doing the router stuff,
linked to the Netgear by ethernet cable.  So why, you might ask, didn't I just leave the
Livebox box in the box and just use the Netgear.  Its because the Livebox has a VOIP
phone connection with (on my package) free anytime call to all UK land lines (01 and 02)
and 40 other countries.

By the way both the Netgear and the Livebox run embedded Linux systems and have web
configuration interfaces that work with Firefox.

This is not a recommendation for Orange.  I would rate them as OK.  Just my experience for
you to ponder.

Tony Pursell