[SWLUG] Parallel port scanner

Paul G. Richardson p.g.richardson at phantomjinx.co.uk
Fri Jan 19 18:56:58 UTC 2007

I think that would be part of udev and the devices group. Have similar
problems from time to time with external devices.

When a device is connected to the machine, on most distros udev takes
care of the device file creation. You should have a device file located
in /dev maybe called parport0. The permisions on this may be what is
stopping you scanning on non root.

udev usually has a group like "devices" that the user can join which
will allow use of these devices.

Hopefully that will sort you out.

Regards

Paul

Emmanuel Durand wrote:
> Hi all!
> I have been given an old Parallel port scanner (Mustek 600 CP.). I've
> set it
> up, it works, but only as root, which is annoying. How can I make it
> accessible on openSuse 10.2 to normal users?
> I've found a How to:
> http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/digitalimage/Scanning-as-Normal...
> <http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/digitalimage/Scanning-as-Normal-User-on-Wierd-Scanner-Mini-HOWTO.txt>
>

> But is there a simpler way?
>
> Emmanuel

- --
P.G. Richardson

Email: p.g.richardson at phantomjinx.co.uk

- ---

"There is no present or future, only the past
happening over and over again now."
Eugene O'Neille

"History is the nightmare from which I am trying
to awake."
James Joyce