[SWLUG] Open government IT projects

Glenn Booth d.glenn.booth at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 23:25:13 UTC 2007

Hi,

On 22/01/07, Bradley, Peter <pbradley at uwic.ac.uk> wrote:

> While we're on the subject of petitions, I'm trying to get the Open
> University to use cross platform software for all their teaching and
> learning tools.  I've started a petition at:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/xplatform/

Good man! I made noises about this issue a while back when I did
TA225 (Music Technology). Didn't get me far, but I'm happy to make
noises again.

Sadly, my single experience of the OU was that they didn't take well
to criticism. Every time I whined at my tutor (mostly about factual
errors in the coursework) they declined to comment, or just said "we'll
look into it".

In the end, I got most of the course software running under
Linux, but Adobe Audition just plain refused to play under Wine,
crossover office and everything else I tried. I never got Firstclass
working either.

If you are, or ever have been (as the American visa form used to say) a

> student or teacher at the OU, it would be helpful if you could say so or
> perhaps supply your OU identifier.

<sobstory> My OU identifier is on a pc in the shed, which got messed up by a
storm last week, which took out the mains distribution board, which is old,
so I can't get MCBs that fit, so I can't turn on the pc, so I can't mount my
email database, so I'm very cheesed off.</sobstory>

Miffed from Llansannor.