[SWLUG] Broadband

Jonathan Wright mail at djnauk.co.uk
Wed Jan 24 00:42:41 UTC 2007

Glenn Booth wrote:
> Home 500 is what I have - our line is too shite for anything higher.
> Hence my comment that you can't buy it any more. Shame - it's a good
> package, even if it is expensive.

Our's isn't much better. Apart from rented accommodation we were in
during the time we were building the house I'm now in, the noise on the
lines were we've lived has never dropped below 55dB. At the moment it's
at 57dB, although I've seen it go to about 64dB.

Having chatted to a few people, it's surprising that we're getting 1meg
at all. The last time BT changed it (without notifying it), they upped
it to 2meg and we lost the Internet for 3 days.

> Agreed. 100 gigs in a month is some fairly serious downloading for a
> home user.

Yep - and that's downloading only. Uploads don't count towards that (if
you include uploads, I'm running about 80Gb a month), but I rate limit
any torrents to run mostly at night (as I need to use the net during the
day for work and for VoIP).

Never had a complaint off them over it.

  Jonathan Wright                                 mail at djnauk.co.uk
                                                http://djnauk.co.uk

  cat /dev/random (you never know, you may see something you like!)

  2.6.17-gentoo-r3-djnauk-b1 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+