[SWLUG] Spamassasin and Evolution

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Fri Jan 26 11:26:30 UTC 2007

Ar Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 10:05:16AM +0000, ysgrifennodd Neil Jones:
> Does anyone know how to configure Spam assassin and Evolution. I have
> set it up as recommended by several sites on the web and I find that it
> is diverting everything to the spam folder. Even things that are written
> in Welsh which I thought would not fall foul of any of the checks.

How did you install and configure it? What distro, how did you get
spamassassin, and what changes to which config files did you make?

On Fedora, I just installed the spamassassin rpm. I don't use evolution.
I use procmail+mutt. So after installing spamassassin, I put a line
in my .procmailrc:

  :0fw
  | spamc

..and then

  :0:

All of this goes before any other recipes, so that the spam gets
filtered out before things are sorted into folders.

So that anything that spamassassin added an "X-Spam-Status: Yes" to
ended up in a folder called IN.caughtspam. It has worked perfectly
ever since. Periodically I delete the folder. I should just send it
to /dev/null in the first place, really.

The only mail that I know about losing was a one-off. Someone sent me
an Amazon voucher. The format of the "claim codes" is something like
xxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxx, where x can be any letter or digit. Spamassassin
makes some guesses at how the name of a certain medication whose brandname
is six letters long (begins with V, ends in A) might be obscured. My
claim code was presumably something along the lines of xxxx-Vi4gr4-xxxxx,
and into the spam folder it went!

Telsa