[SWLUG] Taking a disk image

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Fri Jan 26 15:46:13 UTC 2007

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007, Emmanuel Durand wrote:

> What about RAID? I've been reading on that recently, and thought it could be
> a good idea to set up on my home desktop. Can't help as to how to set it up
> though, I must study the question harder. But it may not exactly be what
> you're looking for Peter.

RAID is pretty easy to set up - the Fedora installer will do it all for
you.  If you are dual booting with Windows then things might get a bit
more complex though.

It's important to remember that RAID shouldn't be treated as a backup
solution though - it's there to keep the system running if a drive fails,
you still need to take backups since there are a lot of failures it won't
protect you from.

For example, if you have an accident with the "rm" command it ain't going
to help you.  And I have seen situations where the PSU in a machine has
blown, destroying all the hard drives as it goes.

--

  - Steve