[SWLUG] Office docx in Linux and some refercences on Open Formats...

Emmanuel Durand erdurand at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 09:36:05 UTC 2007

Dear all

I received my first .docx attachment yesterday. So far I haven't been very
proactive in defending open formats (yes I know, .docx is supposed to be an
open format). I'd send all my documents in PDF or plain text, RTF sometimes.
Open Office would do a good Job opening .doc attachments. But just after
reading an article in LXF 95 relating the experiences of the author with a
office 2007, I received the Documents. Now, I would like to do two things:

1) Read the Document, using Opensuse 10.2 or Kubuntu 6.10, or both. Off
course, I could politely ask the sender to save the document in RTF and send
it again.
2) Find a good article or two, simply written that I can refer this person
to, in order to raise his awareness of some of the issues involved with
using proprietary formats, like Office.

Thank you guys

Emmanuel