[SWLUG] Ubunt-doh!

Lisi Reisz lisi.reisz at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 11:51:37 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 31 Jul 2007 12:00, you wrote:
> I am quite intrigued by these devices and have a few questions.
>
> Are the coded in some way, so that your neighbour 3 doors away on the
> same phase cannot snoop/steal your broadband?

They only work with connections on the same meter.

> Can you have more than one pair on the same phase, i.e. a link to the
> study upstairs and one to the living room?

Yes, provided that the power in the two rooms is passing through the same
meter.  I gather that surge protectors can sometimes interfere with the
connection (if it is required to pass through them!), but I have no problem
with them.

> if not, would you find it
> wont work if the neighbour on the same phase already has them?
>
> How secure are they, are they at least as good as WEP, or are they still
> security but obscurity.

A colleague who has seen my setup and knows more about electricity than I do,
says that it is just remotely possible that a little could leak out beyond
the meter.  But it seems to be at least as secure as WEP, probably more so.

> Whilst I will be sticking with wireless for my laptop when I am sitting
> with my wife, one day she will complain about the ethernet cable running
> up the stairs and sky will do something with the ethernet port on the
> sky HD box.

FWIW, they also do a wireless access point, which can prove useful if you want
need a wireless booster.  Plugging one of these in might well prove cheaper
and more effective.

I'll happily answer more questions, provided that I know the answer ;-), so
please ask if I have not answered fully enough or you have more questions.

HTH
Lisi