[SWLUG] Static IP broadband

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Jun 5 11:40:30 UTC 2007

On Mon Jun  4 19:00:28 2007, Rhys Hardwick wrote:
> 1) I have a web server, and would like to run that on the
> broadband.   This also means that it would be great to have static
> ip address(es),  which I think is probably essential for me.

I do the same, as well as running my public ACAP server, and a few
other less public services. Having multiple machines directly
addressable from the outside world is very useful to me.

> 2) We also use it to browse the web at home, and, although I have
> never measured how much broadband we use, I do stream video,
> download  videos and music, so usage caps would have to be generous.

Most reasonable ISPs - and I think Zen are one of these - will let
you change usage levels very easily and without fuss.

Measuring your broadband usage is actually quite easy, usually,
depending on how its connected. SNMP might well be your friend.

> 3) We don't have a phone line installed yet, but we will install
> one  soon.  This will probably be with BT, as, to the best of my
> knowledge  the ISPs I am looking at require one.

AFAIK, in Cardiff that's true.

I'm still perfectly happy with Zen, albeit I'm on one of their old,
and now unavailable, 512k unmetered lines, and my mother still thinks
they're great - and she doesn't need any of the extras they provide.

My wife thinks I should look into a cheaper broadband deal, and I
have occasionally glanced at other offerings, but none of them give
me what I actually need, so...

Actually the only thing I'd like from Zen that they don't provide is
IPv6.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/