[SWLUG] Advice on Wireless networking

Julian Hall lists at kaotic.co.uk
Sun Mar 11 13:36:46 UTC 2007

Neil Jones wrote:
> I am considering a wireless network. I have seen cheap devices that use
> Bluetooth etc on Ebay.

Hi Neil,

I wouldn't use Bluetooth.  Quite apart from the issues of securing the
network (and I don't think Bluetooth is as secure as 802.11x even - see
bluejacking for reference).  AFAIK Bluetooth only has a very limited
range, a lot shorter than 802.11x.  Also if it's in a different room,
how many connecting walls are there?  Signal strength would also be an
issue.  Some of the cheaper 'proper' routers won't go through too many
walls, Bluetooth is unlikely to like them at all.

I'd be inclined to go for one of the wireless routers on Ebuyer.  You
don't say whether you have DSL or Cable, but Ebuyer have solutions for
both, and all pocket depths :)

Kind regards,

Julian