[SWLUG] Advice on Wireless networking

Glenn Booth d.glenn.booth at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 22:21:17 UTC 2007

Hi Neil,

On 11/03/07, Neil Jones <neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I am just looking for any advice. This is the situation.
>
> I am considering a wireless network. I have seen cheap devices that use
> Bluetooth etc on Ebay.

I did exactly this using two Belkin wireless access points between my house
and
my shed. It worked fine, but using these devices meant having ethernet cards
in
both machines. Eventually I got around to running cat5e across the garden
and
stopped using them, but it was a decent stop-gap solution.

I would avoid bluetooth, due to range/bandwidth limitations. It can also be
a royal
pain in the backside to configure on some distributions. You can
realistically
expect about 25 Mbits/sec from 802.11g, which is way higher than you'll get
from
bluetooth, and range is better too (in my experience). The 54MBps rating is
combination of fiction and ambitious marketing, IMO.

Does anyone know of any snags doing this? Is it simply just a matter of
> plugging things in? The other computer runs Windows 2000.

As someone else mentioned, stick with devices from the same manufacturer
if you want to run them in a kind of 'bridge mode'. I tried mixing a Belkin
unit with
Speedtouch 802.11g and Draytek 802.11g wireless routers and had problems.

Hope this helps,

Glenn.