[SWLUG] Changing to a new distro

Terry John terry.john at bbc.co.uk
Mon Mar 19 11:45:05 UTC 2007

Avoiding overwriting the /home partition is easy. Any upgrade should
give you the option of where you put the new filesystems but in case it
doesn't, to make it clear edit the /etc/fstab to comment out the entry
for /home.

When you do the upgrade don't create a filesystem for the new /home and
the upgrade it will just create /home under the / filsystem. When you
have completed the installation mount the old /home as say /mnt/temp
copy any info from the new /home onto it. umount /mnt/temp and remount
the filesystem over the top of /home.

Edit /etc/fstab to make it permanent and the job is done.

As always the more backups you do the better. How many of us do though?

:-)