[SWLUG] Changing to a new distro

Dick Bain dick.bain at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 12:02:10 UTC 2007

On 19/03/07, Neil Jones <neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> I am currently using suse 9. I have my disk partitioned so that /home is
> on a separate partition.
>
> I am looking to upgrade to another distro. I was possibly thinking of
> Fedora 5.
>
> I have 3 hard disks. One legacy  win98 that I hardly use and 1 linux.
> The third is a linux for back up.
>
> Does anyone have any advice they can give me about the following.
> How do I, if possible, avoid overwriting the /home partition when I
> upgrade? Will this cause problems?
>
> Should I just copy everything onto the 3rd disk, unplug it, and do the
> upgrade and then copy my files back?

You could do that but it shouldn't be necessary, just make sure that
fedora knows which partition is which ;-)
Oh and don't use exactly the same user name so that you don't use the
suse configuration files that will be in your original /home directory
when booting into the new distro.
Once you have installed and booted into the new distro you can copy
your data over and use chmod to make them owned by your new user name.
have fun, and perhaps try a couple of different distros
Dick

--
free/libre/open, software for the people by the people