[SWLUG] Changing to a new distro

Jonathan Wright mail at djnauk.co.uk
Tue Mar 20 00:52:44 UTC 2007

Neil Greenwood wrote:
> This is quite important, not just from a configuration point of view,
> but also because different distros assign user IDs and group IDs
> differently.

Whenever I upgrade a distro (well, when I rebuild Gentoo after changing
Hard Drives, processors, etc.), I usually keep my username (as it's the
first username, the UID/GID never change), but I move all the
.directories out of the way before I log back in.

Some are easy to restore back straight away and usually work fine with
upgrades/updates, such as .mozilla/firefox (but be careful with
.mozilla/plugins), .thunderbird and .gaim, Others however are not so
forgiving: Sometimes it's best to clear out .gnome if you're changing
versions.

It's nice to clear out some of the settings risking losing others -
something not so easily done in Windows! :D

  Jonathan Wright                                 mail at djnauk.co.uk
                                                http://djnauk.co.uk

  cat /dev/random (you never know, you may see something you like!)

  2.6.17-gentoo-r3-djnauk-b1 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+