[SWLUG] 2 Help! problems booting

neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 30 19:46:44 UTC 2007

I may have just sent a blank message I apologise if I did I am being forced to use an unfamiliar interface called Windows 98 :-)

I cannot get my linux system to boot.

I have just carried out a very very simple upgrade.
My machine normally has 3 disks. 1 has windows 2 has linux and number 3 is for more linux data that I put one side.
I have  taken out 3 temporarily in order to facilitate the installation of a new DVD drive my only CD/DVD drive. I have replaced it with a DVD writer.

After doing this I cannot boot properly. It gives a message about Fsck having failed something being read only and prompts me for a root password. I can then log in and read the disk.

Can someone please tell me what is wrong and how I can fix it.

Neil Jones
Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk