[SWLUG] Photo printer recommendations for Linux?

Jonathan Wright jonathan at netwrker.co.uk
Sun May 13 01:54:38 UTC 2007

Justin Mitchell wrote:
> I tend to stick to HP printers these days, the quality seems good and
> they supply linux drivers for most models via the LIP and older IJS
> drivers, many of their printers also support a level of PCL, which is a
> guarantee of getting at least some amount of printing out of it.

I'm using a HP Photosmart 2610 All-in-one (network connected), and
although I don't use the fax option on it (but it is supported via the
HP drivers), nor the memory-card reader (which samba shouldn't have a
problem with), it does work very will via cups and xsane (for scanning).

Along with the HP drivers (hplip), you can also get the HP Toolbox which
will allow you to run cleaning, alignment, etc. commands to the printer,
just as with Windows.

As to the printing - never had a problem, but I can't vouch for Photo
printing, as I've always fallen back to a Windows system to do that, as
you can't set borderless printing, or set for Photo-paper.

Also, the configuration options are not as rich as in Windows as I can
only set the resolution, paper, orientation and color/grayscale, but you
may have more success if working in gimp-print.

It's a shame, as lasers on the other hand (especially commerical-level
ones) do have a much better range of options available.

  Jonathan Wright                           jonathan at netwrker.co.uk
                                              http://netwrker.co.uk

  cat /dev/random (you never know, you may see something you like!)

  2.6.20-gentoo-r7-netwrker-b3 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+
  up 2 days, 13:44, 1 user, load average: 0.69, 1.01, 1.56