[SWLUG] Linux Distros and/or FreeBSD

Steve Anderson steve at twindx.com
Wed May 16 12:02:07 UTC 2007

On 16/05/07, Keith Edmunds <kae at midnighthax.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 May 2007 12:42:04 +0100
> "Davage, Marcus" <Marcus.Davage at lloydstsb.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I tried Ubuntu from a mag's DVD - it was OK, but it didn't come with
> > much, and you can't choose which DM you want.
>
> You can if you have more than one installed!

Indeed. Remember that Ubuntu comes as a LiveCD that you install from -
Red Hat 9 (the last non-Debian-related distro I used) came on three
CDs. I imagine if you download the full Ubuntu DVD you'll get a lot
more installed.

My box at home has Gnome and XFce installed and I can happily chop and
change depending on what I'm doing.

> A lot of people dislike RPM based distros for the reasons you outline.
> Without wanting to get into a flame war, many people consider Debian's apt
> package management to be superior in this respect.

Precisely the reason I left RH9 behind and moved to Debian instead of
FC1. Then I moved to Ubuntu. Then I had problems with Ubuntu on a
vintage Thinkpad because it couldn't initialise the network card
during installation, so I went to Debian again. Then Ubuntu fixed the
problem, so I went back to Ubuntu. Either way, I'm a fan of apt.

Steve
--
Irregular Shed - http://www.twindx.com
09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0