[SWLUG] Linux Distros and/or FreeBSD

Steve Anderson steve at twindx.com
Wed May 16 14:32:29 UTC 2007

On 16/05/07, Steve Hill <steve at nexusuk.org> wrote:

> There is rarely any need to use 3rd party repositories for Free software
> under Fedora in my experience - almost everything you need is in Fedora
> Core or Fedora Extras (which are being merged into a single Fedora 7
> repository at the end of the month).

Doubtless this is true. My experiences are from about four years ago
with RH9 when the official software packages were far fewer!

> Mplayer has questionable legality

Ooh, now there's a topic that will start a bigger flame war than BSD
vs Linux. And so I will sidestep that altogether =)

Debian always used to have a non-US repository for things that
technically could be seen as being 'illegal' in the US but not so much
for the rest of the world. Don't know if they still do that or if the
attempted blanket application of the DMCA regardless of territory has
put them off.

ANYWAY. Yes, it costs nothing to try various distros bar bandwidth and
a CD-R in most cases. Marcus - get a few, suck-them-and-see. There's
almost certainly at least one other person using the same distro on
this list, and for the biggest ones (Fedora Core, Debian and Ubuntu
for sure, probably OpenSUSE and whatever the new name for Mandrake is
as well) there's going to be plenty more.

Just don't try Gentoo. [/me ducks] =)

Steve

--
Irregular Shed - http://www.twindx.com