[SWLUG] Photo printer recommendations for Linux?

Glenn Booth d.glenn.booth at gmail.com
Wed May 16 19:46:06 UTC 2007

Hi,

First off, thanks to all for the suggestions.

On 12/05/07, Justin Mitchell <justin at discordia.org.uk > wrote:

the standard thing to do is when you spot a printer you like the look of
> you check it against the database on linuxprinting.org

That's where I started, but I kept running into discontinued or
not-available-
in-the-UK models. It's useful if you have a shortlist already though.

> one point i must also make these days, is are you sure you really
> need/want to do photo printing at home?

Mostly we use online services (or Tesco, at a push!). I'm glad you raised
the question though. The last photos we printed at home were in one of
those "Oh God, the Grandparent's need a birthday present tomorrow!"
type emergencies. In truth, we need colour, but not necessarily a
photo printer.

I promise to make my mind up before asking stupid questions in future.

Update: Wifey made the decision. We now have a HP Officejet 5610,
and it's magic... in Windows. The Ubuntu 6.10 printer list doesn't
show it. The 5600 ppd file hangs the printer, so I'm off to get the right
ppd.

Once again, thanks for all the pointers.

Regards,

Glenn.