[SWLUG] Ubuntu 7.1 install problems

Phillip Evans phillip at phillipevans.mail1.co.uk
Thu Nov 8 18:13:01 UTC 2007

Hi All,

I have been trying to install Kubuntu 7.1 and have been experiencing
problems with the adept installer after installation.

Install starts normally but when it gets to the "Scanning Mirror" stage
it takes a long, long time and then gives an error message to the effect
that security updates on security.ubuntu.com cannot be accessed and you
should investigate this later. It also says that commented out entries
for security.ubuntu.com have been added to /etc/apt/sources.list.

At the end of install, all runs perfectly except that I cannot install
any other packages such as Firefox, all are greyed out in the package list.

I checked out sources.list and it basically is a list of the appropriate
directories on my local mirror ftp site, gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
as well as security.ubuntu.com. All entries are commented out and
uncommenting does not have any effect, it will not let me install any
other software. Before all the commented-out entries, there was a line
"Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify". I do not
understand this as I checked the local repository,
gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ and all directories and files etc were there.

It would seem that it is not connecting to the repository servers but
all other internet access is fine, I can manually browse them with a
browser.

What is more worrying, if I try to make changes to servers using the
Manage Repositories tool, the changes are not reflected in sources.list.
It is not permissions as sources.list now has world access for read/write.

I also have Ubuntu 7.04 on my machine which happily downloads software
from any repository and any repository changes do modify sources.list as
expected.

Anyone else had the same problem or any ideas as to how to fix it ?