[SWLUG] [Fwd: Re: [LUG] Tesco selling Linux PC's]

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Oct 22 15:53:25 UTC 2007

On Mon Oct 22 09:58:12 2007, Steve Hill wrote:
> I'm a little concerned that without proper guidance, people will
> buy these Linux machines and then discover they don't run Windows
> software (the game they picked up at PC World / their favourite
> screensaver-with-malware / etc) and conclude that Linux is "crap".
> (And spread the word about the "crapness").

I think they're more likely to be saying that "Those cheap Tesco
machines are crap" - the people who run into that kind of issue are
unlikely to appreciate that Linux even exists.

On the other hand, the people who buy the machine for Word'n'Web,
which accounts for way more people, will be perfectly happy, and tell
their friends how good they are. They won't mention anything about
Linux either, of course.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/