[SWLUG] virtualisation queries

bascule asura at theexcession.co.uk
Sat Sep 8 23:34:48 UTC 2007

i have installations of dos/3.11/os2/win98 on another machine and i've been
wondering about possibly virtualising them on my linux box, i'm currently
wading through the sites for vmware and virtualbox, i'm getting a bit
confused as to whether i need to have a newer cpu with the hardware support
for virtualisation, it seems that for dos/3.11 i might not but i might for
os2, my cpu is an amd x2 socket 939 4200 which doesn't have such support. has
anyone tried this? if so, what virtualisation method did you use,
i've also got some pages open on qemu but i've read that qemu is quite slow,
i have tried dosbox in the past but i didn't manage to get all my old games
working which is why i built the other box.
also has anyone made a virtual disk from existing installs of the above oses
(plural?) or did you have to 'install' from scratch?
i would welcome any suggestions on this subject

bascule
--
"there are 8 million sig's in the naked city, this has been one of them"