[SWLUG] Network off a network but not a subnet

Stephen Constantinou stephanos at writeme.com
Tue Apr 1 22:25:38 UTC 2008

Dear All

I have a networking problem that I have not managed to resolve.

My Virgin Media cable modem connects to an ethernet card (red) of a
Smoothwall Firewall.  It is therefore a router.  The second ethernet
(green) card connects to a switch off of which is a PC (Dell dual boot
mandriva/XP), a HP printer and a second (wireless) router.  That second
router connects wirelessly to a laptop (Kubuntu).  There is reason for
this complicated set up.

The IP range for the Soothwall network is 192.168.1.x.  The PC is static
on 192.168.1.2 (The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0), the printer is on
192.168.1.198 and the router connects to this network on 192.168.1.175.
  The range for the router is 192.168.2.x and the laptop connects
wirelessly on 192.168.2.4. (The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0)

The printer is accessible from the laptop and I can print OK.  I can
connect to the Internet from the laptop as well.

When the Dell is booted into XP I want to be able to do two things
1) see the XP file system from the Kubuntu laptop.
2) from the kunbuntu laptop use VNC to remotely control the XP computer
But I have no idea how to achieve this.

I disabled the firewall (Kaspersky) on the XP machine and tried again.
Unfortunately I still could not connect to the XP machine from the
laptop.  From the laptop I tried to ping 192.168.1.175, 192.168.1.1,
192.168.1.2. but the host is always unreachable.  I canot find a
firewall on the Kubuntu laptop.

The XP file system allows sharing and when I put the laptop on the first
network, the Smoothwall network, I can ping the XP machine, make a VNC
connection to the XP machine from the laptop, and see and write to the
XP file system.

Thanks and hope to hear from you

Stephen