[SWLUG] On the subject of routers

Philip Barnes phil at trig222.f9.co.uk
Sun Dec 7 22:33:23 UTC 2008

In the olden days, or at least before I wanted a wireless G
modem/router, I could open ports 7 or 9 and forward them to the
broadcast address allowing me to send a wakeup-on-lan to my home
PC/Server.

On newer routers, this feature has been blocked, which in these days of
trying to save power seems bizare. Any ideas why they don't want me
doing this. The result has been I'm forced to leave the PC on, or
programme my DD-WRT bridge to wake it up at a fixed time whether I want
it then or not.

Any ideas?

Thanks Phil