[SWLUG] Compatability questions

Phillip Evans phillip at phillipevans.mail1.co.uk
Wed Dec 10 17:28:57 UTC 2008

Dear All,

I am considering rebuilding my computer with a new motherboard/processor
(AMD Athlon X2) and would appreciate any comments on potential
compatability issues with Linux.

1 alternative is an Asus motherboard with inbuilt graphics, nvidia
Geforce 7025/nForce 630a. Anyone any experience of this ? Will it
support Compiz ?

The other alternative is a Gigabyte motherboard which seems to have a
good specification except at the end of the spec was the following comment:

"Due to different Linux support condition provided by chipset vendors,
please download Linux driver from chipset vendors' website or 3rd party
website."

The specified chipsets are:

   1. North Bridge: AMD 770
   2. South Bridge: AMD SB600

Again, anyone with any experience of doing this ? Is it a difficult
operation ?

Or can anyone recommend a good m'board/graphics card combination for the
AMD processor.

Any comments gratefully received.

Phillip Evans