[SWLUG] Mail server headaches!

Glenn Booth d.glenn.booth at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 21:16:52 UTC 2008

Hi All,

I decided to resurrect an old box as a CMS server, because wifey wants to
setup a site for some colleagues to use.
I decided to run Joomla on it, which is all fine and dandy, but I'm having
trouble (again!) getting email out of the system.

I had this trouble a while back with Drupal too, and ended up building a
full blown MTA, which was a pain in the rear, and shouldn't have
been necessary. It worked, but was way too much grief for me.

What I'd like is to find a nice 'howto' on setting up a simple Postfix
install that can work as a Smarthost, talking to my ISPs (Zen) mail server,
There are tons of tutorials around, but most are of the 'full blown MTA'
variety. I just need to send  system generated mail. Does anyone know where
I might find such a guide? The server is Ubuntu 7.10, LAMP install - no Mail
server software installed yet.

Thanks,

Glenn.