[SWLUG] help with fixing machine

P.G. Richardson p.g.richardson at phantomjinx.co.uk
Mon Feb 11 11:17:55 UTC 2008

> fixing strategies
>
> As reported recently I have a machine with hard disk problems.
>
> The main linux disk seems to be working but is continually developing
> faults.
>
> These are my possible lines of strategy.
>
> there are 3 disk on this machine each 20 GB.
> 1 win 98. 1 linux and one linux for extra data They are all fairly full.
>
> I is old about 8 years old and is a 795 mhz amd
> Bot sure about bioas at present.
>
> 1st strategy put in a fourth disk and using knopix copy across the data I
> wish to back up.
> There is a separate home partition.
>
> 2 nd strategy try to ftp he files to this win 2000 machine
>
> I have  a router How do i ftp  the files across. What are the addresses?
> How do I find them?
>
> I would appreciate any advice /tips.
>
> Neil

Neil,

Had a similar problem. Tried adding an internal drive for backing up the
data off a broken computer but had boot sector and partition problems as a
consequence. Solved it by buying a hdd drive enclosure.

(http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Drive+Bays/External+%28For+SATA+Drive%29/ICY+BOX++351STUS+Black+HD+Enclosure+?productId=21881)

- Just take out hdd from computer
- insert into enclosure
- plug into alternative computer via usb and copy data.

Initially significant cost at £30 but given the amount I have used it and
will use it then its already paid for itself.

May be of help to you.

PGR

--
Laws are partly formed for the sake of good men, in order to instruct them
how they may live on friendly terms with one another, and partly for the