[SWLUG] Fwd: Swansea meeting

Chris M. Jackson chriscf at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 13:28:09 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 11:15 PM, Johnathon Tinsley <kirrus at kirrus.co.uk> wrote:

> > Someone suggested having a little more structure to the Swansea
> > meetings. Not sure what form that would take, but my guess would be
> > something along the lines of a talk and or discussion topic.
> >
> > Also, someone else (I think it was Chris, but I'm not sure, sorry, I
> > am dreadful at remembering names, I mean truly dreadful), about
> > setting up an advocacy (or another style) event, possibly in the
> > autumn, in Cardiff... Does anyone else think that would be a good
> > idea?

Of the ideas discussed before the end of the night:

Talks: I believe someone committed to organising an evening event for
late March after the last meeting.  Like so many things on this list,
it remains to be seen whether or not anything comes of it.

Advocacy event: We staged one in Cardiff several years ago, and the
idea was to hold something like it, but more structured, possibly in
Swansea.  As was said in the meeting, if we're going to do something
like this in the autumn, the planning needs to start *now*.  More
importantly, this is going to take more than one person, and they need
to be able to commit to it for 6-8 months (which I am currently unable
to do, otherwise I'd take it on myself).

Group outing: Late in the evening, someone suggested the idea of
putting together a trip (Bletchley Park, for example).  I imagine that
there are easily enough people on this list to fill a coach and spread
the cost.  I also imagine that there are people with contacts to get a
minibus on the cheap.

All good ideas, if anyone wants to take them up.

--
Chris Jackson