[SWLUG] Status of Talks

Matthew Moore matt at matthewmoore.org.uk
Tue Feb 19 22:29:03 UTC 2008

Hi all,

As promised, here is the brief status update:

Location - I'm currently talking to Sitsofe about this.  If the chap with the
pokey stick wants to poke him into action, that'd be great.

If you do have access to a good decent sized room in either Swansea or
Cardiff, let me know.  I'm sure we'll get a uni room, but having a potential
backup would be great.

Speakers - I'm happy to put peoples names on the list, but I'm not going to
make an announcement requesting speakers till I've got a room booked.

Format - Still very loose and open, I'm happy to accomodate lightning talks
and more traditional 20-30 (or possibly longer) min talks.  Let me know what
you can do.

Publicity - If someone is handy with some kind of dtp/graphics package and
could design a simple poster, that would be great.  Let me know if you want
to do this.

Timewise, if we can get a room in the next week or so we're still good for the
end of March.   I would like to have the talks in the last week of March,
ideally.  Otherwise it might slip till April.

It was suggested at the Cardiff LUG that we could team up with the British
Computer Society.  This would have several good points, they'd be able to
sort out rooms, we'd get alot more exposure for the LUG and linux.  More
people are likely to come.  Bad sides, are it is a big (ish) corporate (ish)
organisation and some people might not like that.  Also speakers would
potentially be talking to many more people.

Personally I'm fairly ambivalent, it is a good idea.  But I don't want to put
speakers off or upset large parts of the LUG if they don't want to be
associated with the BCS.  Let me know what you think.

Opinions?  Questions?  Let me know,

Cheers,

Matt