[SWLUG] S4C use of wmv

Peter Bradley P.Bradley at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Jan 4 15:51:47 UTC 2008

Ysgrifennodd P.G. Richardson:
> Quick and simple for installing mplayer would be to follow the link below,
> if not too out of date. mplayer uses codecs that are questionable in
> certain countries so is rarely distributed with distros. However, these is
> normally a repository lurking around that will provided these apps without
> too much pain and avoid compilation.
>
> http://susewiki.org/index.php?title=Getting_proper_media_support_with_MPlayer
>
> Hope this helps with compilation concerns.
>
> PGR

Thanks for that.  I installed mplayer and the mplayer plugin for
Netscape (and kmplayer), but I still get no joy from FF on the S4C
site.  When I try to access:

mms://s4c.unique-media.tv/s4c_uk/bsm/hsbc_jazz_aberhonddu___catrin_finch_ai0000803d21b8.wmv?sami=http://www.s4c.co.uk/sami/A290559874.smi

(because I have a 'thing' about Catrin Finch :) ) ... I get this message:

"Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol
(mms) isn't associated with any program"

I combed the FF options but couldn't find any way of making this
association.  The nearest was "Manage File Types", but this gave no
option for adding a new file type - only for changing the actions on
existing file types.

Am I missing something terribly obvious?  I could well be, especially
since I'm just recovering from the Noro Virus.  My advice on that is to
avoid it if you can.  Happy Holidays, eh?

Cheers

Peter