[SWLUG] S4C use of wmv

Peter Bradley P.Bradley at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Jan 4 21:01:19 UTC 2008

Ysgrifennodd Philip Barnes:
> To play the stream in xine, all I did was copy and paste the URL from
> your email into a shell and put xine in front of it.
>
> xine
> mms://s4c.unique-media.tv/s4c_uk/bsm/hsbc_jazz_aberhonddu___catrin_finch_ai0000803d21b8.wmv
>
> The end part is a link to an SMI (Synchronized Multimedia Integration
> Language), which is displayed in the browser. It is not required if
> calling the media files directly.

That's odd.  Doesn't do anything at all for me, that.  Just brings up
the gui and sits there.  Oops!  Scrub that.  It does work.  Missed the
bit about the link to the smi file.  Thanks.

And, once again, xine is immeasurably better than mplayer.

> Sorry if I didn't explain myself very well, I must admit I take the
> shell for granted, I always have a shell open when I am using linux, and
> on when I'm forced to use XP at work, I open a cygwin shell.

No problem.  I do the same, but I'm just not familiar with multimedia stuff.

I'm not hard core, though :)  I like an easy life.  So if a gui's
easier, I'll use it.
> In xine 'f' toggles full screen, and the other useful key is 'g', which
> toggles the gui.

Thanks, I'd worked out the 'f' one, but I was wondering how to get rid
of the gui from the screen when watching in full screen mode.  It all
seems so obvious now :-)

Cheers

Peter