[SWLUG] S4C use of wmv

Peter Bradley P.Bradley at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Jan 6 13:35:28 UTC 2008

Ysgrifennodd Tony Pursell:
> It does seem that S4C needs sorting out a bit, so go for it.

Nice to hear I'm not quite at the grumpy old man stage - in some things
at least.  I intend to wait for a reply from my last email and then I'll
reply suggesting they change their site to reflect the truth of things a
bit more accurately (assuming they don't spontaneously offer to do that
without my prompting).
> However, after keeping the whole of this long thread, I finally
> booted into Ubuntu Gutsy to see if I could do what has been
> suggested.  No need, as it seems.  I launched Firefox,
> navigated to the S4C site and the link to Dechrau Canu
> Dechrau Canmol from Bala and (after a warning that it would
> have open an external application which this may be trying to
> exploit - heavens forbid!) it opened in Totem.  Same with
> Catrin Finch.

Yes.  I noticed that under Windows with Firefox, Opera and Safari that
WMP was automatically registered to deal with the mmc protocol.  I'm not
sure why it should have been necessary for me to register Kaffeine with
FF and SeaMonkey on Linux.  Clearly, either FF automagically picks up
the existence of a handler under some circumstances, or some apps
(Totem?) automagically register with FF.  It would be nice to be able to
pin down the exact set of circumstances leading to each result.

I'm about to check Opera on Linux.  I'll post back what I find.

Cheers

Peter