[SWLUG] WMV to DVD

Foeh Mannay swlug at wormtail.co.uk
Sun Jan 6 21:45:00 UTC 2008

Marcus Davage wrote:
> Does anyone know of any way I can convert a WMV file to a DVD file (VOB
> etc.) so that I can play it on a DVD player?

Hi,

I've been having a similar challenge recently. It's not as simple as
just converting the movie to the right kind of MPEG as DVD players
expect to find chapter info and so on in standard locations. Admittedly
I've been working with photo slideshows rather than 'proper' movies, but
I believe you need a DVD authoring package (in addition to conversion
tools) to create a disc that will play on a standalone player.

I've been using "dvdstyler" for what I'm working on, it allows you to
create menus and all sorts of other stuff too, but should (he says,
having never actually tried it) do what you want. It also lets you
either burn direct to DVD or create an ISO image for later (or multiple)
burning. It doesn't seem to pick up .WMV files directly, but you should
be able to find a few apps that will do conversion to MPEG - may be
worth researching what the 'right' format is for DVD to save double
conversions. For what it's worth, I use ffmpeg for doing video
conversion, but that's to convert stuff to an iPod compatible format
rather than to burn to DVD.

Foeh