[SWLUG] WMV to DVD

Steve Anderson steve at twindx.com
Mon Jan 7 10:53:51 UTC 2008

On 07/01/2008, Davage, Marcus <Marcus.Davage at lloydstsb.co.uk> wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Sounds like exactly what I was after, because that's what I'm trying to do.
> More trouble I experience is that
> 1. I have to log on to XP and MSIE to download the WMV file from BBC iPlayer
> 2. I have to run it through a downloaded XP program to remove the DRM
> ...before I can even view it in Ubuntu.
>
> Is there a way of doing the whole caboodle in Ubuntu?

Don't be daft =) This is why the BBC has (quite rightly) been slagged
off so much regarding their choice of download system. There's an
effort to get Wine to do as much as possible, but the project seems to
have stalled since the Flash version came along:
http://bbciplayerlinux.sourceforge.net/

There's a few people looking at hijacking the Flash version and
pulling the FLV file out to play with, but it's another proprietary
format in another proprietary delivery system (RTMP -
Macromedia/Adobe's competitor to RTSP and MMS). A friend and I spent a
Friday afternoon hacking through XML to get URLs and secure keys from
the BBC server but the RTMP protocol was our stumbling block. We've
not really tried much since before Christmas because now we're both
busy again...

I had considered having a Windows virtual machine on a box to take
care of this sort of thing, what with having a bunch of XP licenses
not doing anything, but then I work all day on a Windows box so I can
just use that instead =)

Steve

--
Irregular Shed - http://www.twindx.com