[SWLUG] UPS recommendations?

Jonathan Wright jonathan at netwrker.co.uk
Sat Jan 12 11:03:38 UTC 2008

Mark Summerfield wrote:
> On 2008-01-12, Jonathan Wright wrote:
>> Mark Summerfield wrote:
>>> It came with a CD for Windows (which I don't use) and a cable
>>> connecting it to a USB port. I've connected it to the USB but I
>>> don't know if there is any point in doing so---does anyone know if
>>> Linux can communicate with a UPS?
>> IIRC, you need to enable HID Devices, with USB HID and Force feedback
>> support (not sure about the raw HID stuff either).
>
> Uh, I'm a programmer, I have no idea what that sentence means!
>
>> Depending on your distro, you may need to probe a few modules to get it
>> to spring into life. Then, just installed apcupsd to monitor the UPS and
>> it will run commands on certain events (such as switch on/off of mains
>> and battery levels).
>
> I have Fedora 8. Can't I just install the right packages and leave
> Fedora to figure it out?

Sorry - HID is 'Human Interface Device'. It's the USB standard Keyboard,
Mice, etc. talk on and is set in the kernel. In thoery, if you have
fedora, you just need to install apcupsd and run. The modules should
have (hopefully) autoloaded.

--
Jonathan Wright

  e: jonathan at netwrker.co.uk
  w: http://netwrker.co.uk/

  cat /dev/random
   » you never know, you may see something you like!

  (sent from home...)