[SWLUG] Swansea meet (was: Carmarthen meeting reminder - TONIGHT)

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 16 13:51:22 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 13:02 +0000, Chris M. Jackson wrote:
> Potted history of the final meeting venues:
>
> Many years ago (as early as I started attending) we were at the Goose
> and Granite on Wind Street.  After several new facades and at least
> two renovation jobs, this is now a Reflex.
>
> Next came The Bank Statement, across the road.  JDW has now turned
> this into one of it's Lloyd's Bar outlets, and so now plays fairly
> loud music during much of the day.
>
> Then finally came No Sign, which was generally a good place to gather,
> good atmosphere, good food, and relatively quiet.  I have heard that
> the business is no longer solvent, and that its future is in doubt if
> it hasn't already closed.
>
> A new venue is probably in order.

At one point we actually went to the Bar called SA1 at some time because
I remember someone baffling the staff by turning down the music blaring
out of the TV with their Palm's IR function. There will be an epidemic
of deafness in the future I'm sure from people insisting on high volume
entertainment.

Well If that's the case it is probably due to the Wind Street University
motto of "Audio, Video, Disco". ( It is actually Latin for I hear, I
see, I learn!) I suspect people wanting a quiet drink now go elsewhere.
Is there anywhere else nearby in Castle Street or High Street?

I am certainly not the best person to know about these things as I don't
visit many pubs as I am a life-long teetotaller.  Some of the pubs at
the top of High Street were not to noisy some years ago. What is The
Shoulder of Mutton like these days?

Are there any suitable cafes?

Neil Jones
Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk