[SWLUG] Networking options

Julian Hall lists at kaotic.co.uk
Sun Jan 20 15:52:01 UTC 2008

Neil Jones wrote:
> I don't think I'd go for the wifi option. But the router idea looks
> better only 27 quid from Amazon and I haven't researched others yet.
>
> I have one question though. When I first connected to Virgin( it was NTL
> in those days.) I had to have a pink disk to put software on my Windows
> 98 system in order to connect. I can't put my hands on it now.
>
> Would I need it to get the Windows machine connected?

Ah.. you're on Virginmedia DSL?  I (possibly wrongly) assumed cablemodem.

If it's ADSL then a slightly different option is available.  Replace
that nasty Alcatel frog thing (I'm assuming the horrible green/blue
round thing we hated in support) with a combined modem/router.  All you
do then is plug the phone line in the phone socket and the PCs into the
LAN ports.  No driver software required :)

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/90976

Ebuyer Extra value £16.44 inc VAT + pnp.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/83646

For a couple of quid more than your original (£32.48 inc VAT + pnp) you
could get this Linksys.  Also supports the latest DSL upgrades in case
your exchange gets upgraded - the old modem won't. :)

Kind regards,

Julian