[SWLUG] Failed Raid 1

Hugh Saunders hugh at mjr.org
Tue Jan 22 18:31:41 UTC 2008

On 22/01/2008, Matt Willsher <matt at monki.org.uk> wrote:
> My person approach would along the lines of the following, assuming I
> didn't have a second PC:
>
> - Leave original disks as is. Connect one of the new disks to a free
> port on the MB.
> - Boot Knoppix.
> - Check SMART status of disks with smartctl.
> - See what dmraid makes of it. If dmraid sees it, see if it can be
> mounted (read only)
> - If it can't be mounted, remove dmraid. Can the underlaying devices
> be seen? If so, try and mount them (ready only)
> - If they can be mounted, copy the data off to the new disk (this can
> be the new backup disk) and to the USB drive just to be sure.
> - Shutdown and remove all the disks. Connect the disk for Windows.
> - Install Windows and setup drivers etc.
> - Shutdown and connect a backup disk (or just plug in the USB disk)
> - Copy data back to Windows disk
> - Install Ghost and create a snapshot to the backup disk.
> - Set up regular backups.

Thanks for listing that..  will check the smart status of the disks
before dmraid.
Ghost is an idea, though would have to pay for it...

Have just noticed GNU ddrescue which claims to be able to construct a
complete file/partition from two incomplete originals - as long as no
section is missing in both the input images.
Could be useful.. (http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html)

--
Hugh Saunders