[SWLUG] DVD playing

Phillip Evans phillip at phillipevans.mail1.co.uk
Tue Jul 8 21:37:34 UTC 2008

I am running Kubuntu 8.04 on an Athlon64 system with 2 (IDE) DVD drives,
an LG GSA-H22L DVD rewriter as secondary master & an LG GDR816B DVD
reader as sec. slave. In order to be able to play commercial DVDs, I
loaded the appropriate libraries such as libdvdcss2 etc and all works
fine, (as it did with 7.04 before) Kaffeine plays all pre-recorded DVDs
no problem - provided I use the rewriter.

I have just tried to use the DVD reader to play a DVD & it bombs with
the error message to say "This is an encrypted DVD, please load this
blah blah blah".  Move the DVD to the rewriter & all is OK.

This is not a major problem but I am just curious as to what is going
on, if a pre-recorded DVD plays on one drive, the correct software is
obviously loaded and running correctly so why is the other drive
refusing it ?

What am I missing ?

Phillip