[SWLUG] help with router

Matthew Moore matt at matthewmoore.org.uk
Mon Jul 21 20:10:44 UTC 2008

On Sunday 20 July 2008 17:36:50 neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk wrote:

> I can connect to the router but no connection is going to the ISP. I have
> gone so far as to change the password. It works with the old cable modem. (
> I am using it to sent this email) So I am sure the details are correct.

> Jan 1 00:08:27 	daemon 	crit 	pppd[288]: PPP session established.
> Jan 1 00:08:29 	daemon 	crit 	pppd[288]: PPP LCP UP.
> Jan 1 00:08:29 	daemon 	err 	pppd[288]: User name and password

Well, the obvious thing would be to check with the ISP that you've got the
right username/password and then make very sure that the keyboard isn't
putting any spurious characters into the password field.  Sorry, but I can't
remember, is this a completely new connection?  Or an existing one?  As they
might have cocked up the details if it's a new one.  Who is the ISP?

Also, it's worth making sure you've got all the right settings for the router,
again ask the ISP.

HTH

Cheers,

Matt