[SWLUG] Decent cheap virtual server recommendations

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 16 12:43:24 UTC 2008

Hi Folks,

I am looking for a decent Virtual server running linux.

I already have one but I want a second one for technical reasons related
to search engines.

I don't care what flavour of linux it runs as long as the following work
out of the box from the start with the minimum of configuration.

Bind/named
Apache
PHP
Mysql
CPAN-perl

I have been trying a second server from vaserv.com who offer the choice
of installing various flavours and distros but none of them seem to be
complete or easily configurable. I can install any of them and have gone
though a list and not found them fit for my purposes.

For example, on one distro I found mysql wasn't there. No problem I
thought I'll install it. Then I find it insists on having a DBI module
from perl and CPAN doesn't work to install perl modules!

Them another version uses cPanel so I install a clean version and I
cannot even connect to cPanel.

I just want something that works with the minimum of fuss.
These are fairly standard things to want on a server so please can
anyone recommend somewhere that doesn't cost the earth and provides a
working service.

Neil Jones
Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk