[SWLUG] Ubuntu/KDE lost internet connectivity-KNetworkManager etc

Rich Colquhoun clearnitesky at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 18 13:57:41 UTC 2008

It does look as though you've got a conflict between your
kernel headers that are installed and the ones you need for
the kernel you're running. Do you have more than one kernel
option from the boot-up GRUB screen? if so try selecting
the older one...

Does your connection work if you connect it using a CAT5
cable?
If you're able to access your samba shares then it means
you are connected to the network though, which is a good
start.
Do you know your route/gateway and DNS settings? on my
system I just set those as the router itself (192.168.1.1)

arfab

--- Stephen Constantinou <stephanos at writeme.com> wrote:

> Dear All
>
> I appear to have lost internet connectivity.  I was using
> my Ubuntu/KDE
> laptop on an internal network via a switch that connected
> to a
> Smoothwall firewall.  It had a static IP.  All was well
> and I sometimes
> made a wireless internet connection as well by attaching
> a wireless/4
> port router to the switch. I stopped using wireless for a
> while.
>
> I was using KNetworkManger to configure ethernet and
> wireless
> connections.  I right click and chose Manual Connections
> to do this.
> Now the interface has stopped appearing and nothing
> happens.
> The other application I was using was Wireless Assistant
> 0.5.7.  When I
> click this it does not start either.  Previously I had
> difficulty with
> these applications and I uninstalled and reinstalled
> them.  I must have
> retained internet connectivity to be able to do this.
>
> During boot up a message to screen alerts me to look at
> /tmp/dgcconfig-building.txt.  The contents of which are
> below:
> <content of dgcconfig-building.txt>
> cd /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/build && make
> "CNXT_KERNELSRC=/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/build"
> "M=/usr/lib/dgcmodem/modules" "CC=gcc" clean)
> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-16-generic'
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-16-generic'
> rm -rf *.o GPL/*.o *.ko GPL/*.ko *.mod.c GPL/*.mod.c
> .*.cmd GPL/.*.cmd
> .tmp_versions .tmp_versions

/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/build/.tmp_versions/dgcusbdcp.mod