[SWLUG] Ubuntu/KDE lost internet connectivity-KNetworkManager etc

Rich Colquhoun clearnitesky at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 18 23:53:49 UTC 2008

Well it looks like all of those kernels are the same... which kernel headers package do you have installed?

Stephen Constantinou <stephanos at writeme.com> wrote: Dear Rich

Thanks for the interest.  I know the route/gateway and DNS settings but
cannot set them as KNetworkManager's Manual configuration is not
appearing.  I cannot connect to the Internet with CAT5 either.

Although I boot directly into a user, (version 2.6.24-16)I studied the
grub boot loader and have many options
Ubuntu 8.04. Kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
Ubuntu 8.04. Kernel 2.6.24-16-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu 8.04. Kernel 2.6.24-14-generic
Ubuntu 8.04. Kernel 2.6.24-14-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu 8.04, memtest86+

I tried the third option: Ubuntu 8.04. Kernel 2.6.24-14-generic
The mouse did not work and I got a loud feedback type noise over the
speakers that I could not turn off.

So next I tried: Ubuntu 8.04. Kernel 2.6.24-16-generic (recovery mode)
This booted to a memu with three options: resume normal boot, Drop to
shell prompt, try to fix X server.  I was not sure what to do so I
resumed normal boot.

Next was: Ubuntu 8.04. Kernel 2.6.24-14-generic (recovery mode)
This booted to a memu with three options: resume normal boot, Drop to
shell prompt, try to fix X server.  I was not sure what to do so I
resumed normal boot, and got the same feedback noise again

On screen the message says something about not being able to compile
with gcc.  I went looking for this package but it was not installed and
not available either.

At a loss and hoping there is something to be done

Thanks

Stephen

SWLUG Discussion List - Discuss at swlug.org