[SWLUG] Mounting a Samba NAS Disk

'o-Dzin Tridral tridral at gmail.com
Sat May 24 10:02:20 UTC 2008

Dear everyone,

I've recently bought a NAS disk (smalldrives.com) and I'm going round in
circles trying to mount it as a disk.

It knows Samba and Ftp.  I can access it as a network folder (smb://) and
also read and write via FTP, but mounting the drive as a Samba or Cifs
filesystem has me completely foxed.  I'm using OpenSuse 10.3 and apparently
this no longer supports the smbfs filesystem, so I'm attempting to use Cifs.

Does anyone have a simple recipe that I can follow that includes what
services I need to have switched on, and what the contents of the fstab or
smbsftab file should look like?

I have the following in smbfstab

attempting to mount gets me
mount error 5 = Input/output error
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

What I'm aiming to do is to be able to backup to this disk via rsync.

All hints gratefully received!

'ö-Dzin

--
'ö-Dzin Tridral