[SWLUG] Talks, past and future

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Sun May 25 20:36:07 UTC 2008

[On lightning talks]

Ar Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 10:38:55AM +0100, ysgrifennodd Steve Hill:
> On Thu, 3 Apr 2008, Matthew Moore wrote:
>
> > Secondly, when do people think we should do something like this again?
> > Opinions?
>
> Yes, it was an interesting evening.  I think you suggested holding
> quarterly talks, which seems quite a good idea to me.

So if you were still thinking in terms of quarterly talks, it is
probably time to start thinking of the next ones. If the first was
at the start of April, then the next would be start of July and
then start of October.

So the next will be after the end of summer term in university
(so, depending on whether you expect a net loss or, um, profit in
students, perhaps aim it at business-y topics?) and then the next
just after everyone has arrived at university and Freshers' Week
has finished. Just in time to catch some more.

There are _lots_ of people who are not on the mailing list and
who don't look at the website or use IRC who may be interested. I
kept meeting them and finding out they would have been interested
after the last ones. So posters before the end of term would be a
good idea in the university (universities, plural?) and wherever
else might be useful. It is currently exam season, and I think
lots of people swan off after that, so posters before the end of
exam season would be even better.

Oh, and I know one person who is happy to offer a talk: again,
he is not on the list, so didn't know until someone told him.

Telsa