[SWLUG] Can't set right resolution on new 24" monitor

Matthew Moore matt at matthewmoore.org.uk
Mon Nov 3 19:51:07 UTC 2008

On Monday 03 November 2008 07:07:37 Rich Colquhoun wrote:
> It could just be that your modelines are too detailed... My section of
> xorg.conf just goes:
>

> Section "Screen"
>     Identifier     "Screen0"
>     Device         "Device0"
>     Monitor        "Monitor0"
>     DefaultDepth    24
>     SubSection     "Display"
>         Depth       24
>         Modes    "1280x1024" "1024x768" "832x824" "800x600" "640x480"
>     EndSubSection
>
> You could try something similar, if you haven't already...

Yup, tried that without much luck.  I've used various different modelines so
far.  Mine were generated from a program, so that is why they look a bit odd.
I've mainly been using nvidia-settings to set it all up.

> or try making it set itself up.
>
> $ sudo bash
> # X -configure  (If I remember correctly)
>
> What happens when you try that auto-generated file (it gets saved in your
> root's home dir)?

I got an error when trying that.  I think it's cause I'm using a PCI-E gfx
card, xorg has a little paddy.

It errors with the messages in this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nsc/+bug/265035

I've also tried:

dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

A few times, but no luck with that.  It never actually lets me put in any
graphics/display related stuff.  Just asks me about my keyboard and then exits.

mathieu - I'll try that if ubuntuforums.org doesn't bring any luck.

Thanks both.

Cheers,

Matt