[SWLUG] how hard can it be... to get a core dump

Mark Summerfield mark at qtrac.eu
Thu Sep 25 14:52:16 UTC 2008

On 2008-09-25, Dave Cridland wrote:
> On Thu Sep 25 13:18:54 2008, Mark Summerfield wrote:
> > But programA runs programB and the crash only occurs in programB
> > when it
> > is run from programA (with a particular data set); it runs fine on
> > its
> > own or with other data. Inside gdb the crash occurs and a return
> > value
> > of 01 is noted; but the backtrace gives me nothing, presumably
> > because
> > gdb is debugging programA rather than the programB that crashed
> > "inside"
> > it.
>
> gdb ./programB `pgrep programB`
>
> While programB is running, of course.
>
> How does programA start?

The command line is this:

    $ lout -r6 infile > outfile

the -r6 says run 6 times. On the 5th run, prg2lout (the program lout
runs) exits with status 1 (and it shouldn't). Annoyingly if I run
prg2lout standalone it works okay, and if I do -r4 and then -r2
everything works fine.

Now I'm really giving up on it!

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
    C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy